Thursday, December 1, 2011

You know chivalry is dead when...you're having a quarter-life crisis

I'm giving my age away now but, I can't help but loathe the quarter-life crisis. What is the quarter-life crisis? According to dictionary.com it is "an emotional crisis in one's twenties with anxiety and self-doubt after leaving academic life."

You know what my opinion on it is? People telling you false-truths. Maybe when I'm 40 I'll look back on this time in my life and laugh but for now it's traumatizing. I'm pretty sure most, if not all of us college graduates were told we'd be getting a good paying job once we graduated. Please feel free to tell Jane or Jack that even though they've been out of college for 3 years now and are still working at Starbucks, once they hit 30, it'll all work out in the end.

So how does a quarter-life crisis have anything to do with chivalry being dead? A quarter-life crisis isn't gender specific, it happens to almost everyone. It's that feeling of uncertainty, being unstable and not being sure where your path will lead you. For the most part, men want to feel stable before they pop the question to their lady love. Men know a "Sir, I'd like to marry your daughter. I'm unemployed right now, but eventually I'll get a good paying job and then we will be able to move out of your house," is not going to impress the family.

Times are tough, the economy is struggling right now and the infamous saying "you have to love yourself before you can love anyone else" comes to mind. Even if Mr. Chivalry has his ducks in a row and is making a stellar pay check, if you, the girl, are having second thoughts about what you're supposed to do with your life, you're not going to be 100% checked-into the relationship.

Maybe in a couple of years when you've figured yourself out, you'll find a man who makes you think "maybe chivalry isn't dead."

No comments:

Post a Comment